Eco-Friendly Tips for the Holidays!
Here are a few easy tips for making sure that your holiday is a gift for the earth
Gifts and Cards
- Give charitable donations in lieu of gifts
- Give or make gifts using your skills and experience
- Avoid battery operated childrens toys and consult the Canadian Toy Testing Council
- Shop at local green businesses and consignment shops
- Encourage environmentalism with fair-trade organic products, subscription to eco-magazine/journal, and canvas shopping bags
- Buy art and crafts from local artists
- Wrap gifts in reusable or recycled gift wrap, or get creative with jars or tins
- Use gift bags that can be re-used
- Send e-cards
- Make new gift tags out of old cards
- Use 100% post-consumer/ recycled cards
- Avoid dollar stores and instead opt for quality
- Choose products that have minimal packaging
- Shop within 100 miles of Ottawa. There are lots of local choices for kids, foodie, gardener and art lover.
- Carpool to Christmas parties
- Serve local wines and beers in "real" (i.e. not disposable) wineglasses and mugs
- Try to avoid traveling, especially flying
- Don't use chemical sprays to scent your home. Instead, boil cinnamon, cloves etc. or sprinkle essential oils on some cotton pads around your home
- Make your special dinner an all organic and local one
- Buy and decorate a living, potted tree. Use it for a few years, then plant it in your garden
- Put automatic timers on Christmas lights so that they are turned off during the night
- Use LED lights
- See the holiday season as an opportunity to relax with loved ones rather than as a stressful time where youre obligated to buy things for people they don't want or need
- Honour the peace of the holidays by not driving your car. Walking is great during this time of year!
- As always, refuse, reduce, reuse and recycle. Be creative!